Everything You Need to Know About Granite Countertops [infographic]
Are you in the market for new countertops? If so, you’re likely weighing all the options of each type of countertops. You may have already thought of granite countertops since granite is durable. Here’s everything you need to know about granite countertops.
- What Is It? – Granite is an igneous rock that is made up of minerals such as feldspar and quartz. Materials are often mixed to give you the speckled appearance that granite is known for. You can find granite in a variety of colors such as white, gray, black, pale pink, and bright blue.
- Pros – Granite countertops are known for their durability. Additionally, granite is less likely to stain compared to other softer stones and it is less likely to scratch. These qualities are important to have in kitchen countertops considering you will likely be using knives, and acidic foods that could otherwise damage your countertops.
- Cons – Although granite countertops are less likely to stain than other types of countertops, this does not make them stain resistant. If you fail to seal your granite countertops, it could result in possibly staining your granite.
- Cost – The cost of granite depends considerably on the cut of stone and your location. You can find granite for roughly $40/square foot. For more high-end and exotic cuts of granite, you can expect to pay up to $200/square foot.
- Care – Just like anything else, if you take good care of an item, it tends to last longer. Proper care of granite countertops includes having them sealed, using granite specific cleaner, and keeping harsh chemicals and vinegar away from your counter surfaces.
We hope this information has taught you the basics of granite countertops and what to expect from the product. If you have any questions regarding granite countertops, and the services we provide, please contact us at Complete Kitchen & Bath today!