Most Common Mistakes Homeowners Make When Installing Backsplash Tile
It is always a good idea to do your research when doing any home project. And installing your backsplash tile is no exception. Here is a list of the most common mistakes homeowners make while installing their backsplash tile:
- Choosing a trendy backsplash. This is the number one mistake homeowners make. Styles and taste change, and if you choose one that is too wild and crazy, you will be questioning your choices shortly down the road. Make sure to choose a backsplash tile that you will like for years to come.
- Not prepping the surface. You need to have a smooth, clean surface that is clear of all debris, stains, wallpaper and uneven surfaces, or otherwise your backsplash could be uneven, misaligned and/or not secure itself to the wall correctly.
- Rushing too fast. When spreading the grout, you need to make sure you are neat and precise. Clumps and uneven grout will lead to uneven tiles. And once the grout has dried, it is difficult to remove and smooth out. Slow and steady wins the race.
- Not making your backsplash tile neat and tidy. Battens are a good way to keep neat, straight lines. These are thin, long rods that you can place horizontally and vertically to help keep your tiles in a straight line. If you only want to do the job once, use battens and a level to make sure you won’t have to redo anything.
- Not planning ahead. Home projects should be planned out because mistakes can be expensive. Before you begin, make sure you have enough tile, the correct adhesive, battens and grout.
The best and easiest way to avoid these mistakes is to work with a professional for your backsplash tile installation. Our team here at Complete Kitchen & Bath would be happy to help you, so give us a call today to learn more!